A mother is suing a hospital in OR after her newborn baby accidentally suffocated when he was left alone with her to be breastfed while she was still "groggy" after undergoing a caesarian section.
The lawsuit, filed Friday, claims Portland Adventist Medical Center was negligent in medicating Monica Thompson and leaving her unsupervised with her infant son, Jacob, for a session of late-night breastfeeding in her hospital bed, KATU reported.
But just four days after Jacob was born, the new mother accidentally smothered the child in her hospital bed, 7 News reports. Around 3 a.m. the nurse -identified in the lawsuit as Nurse X- took the newborn to Thompson and put the baby next to her for breastfeeding, and "left the room and left the mother and son unattended".
Thompson claims that an hour later - "still drowsy and groggy" - she noticed her son was unresponsive in her arms.
The first-time mom called for a nurse to help her, but no one came to her aid, the legal filing also claims.
She talked to him, to try to get him to wake up. She tried to get her son to respond while calling for a nurse for help.
Doctors concluded he suffered severe hypoxia and that the brain was "severely and permanently damaged". The spokesperson also did not comment about the hospital's policy on newborns and bed sharing.
The suit also says that when the doctors performed CPR on Jacob, they broke his ribs which can "cause substantial pain". "What happened to us could have easily been prevented had the nurses been doing their job", Thompson said in a statement through her lawyer.
Now Thompson, 42, is suing Portland Adventist Medical Center for negligence and more. She said they were unable to provide any additional information at the time.
He was put on life support and transferred to Randall Children's Hospital at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center.
Adding, 'My firstborn and only son.
Six days later, he died.
About 3,500 babies die each year in the United States because of "unsafe sleep environments", such as suffocation or strangulation; some die of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. She says that night, in particular, she was given a combination of narcotic painkillers and sleep aids to help her sleep while her son was under the care of nurses. I am sharing our story in the hopes that no mother or family will ever have to suffer through a tragedy such as this. He was born by Caesarean section on August 2, 2012, according to the suit. Experts say babies who share a bed with their parents are at risk because parents can roll on top of them, or the babies can get trapped in blankets and bedsheets. She's now suing the hospital for $8.8 million.