Residents had reported a awful stench several times.
In an investigation from ABC News affiliate, Channel 7, law enforcement discovered Komisarchik had pressed the elevator's emergency alarm twice on July 6, but no aid was given. Greg Pixley, a captain on the Denver Fire Department, said police detectives are still trying to figure out why no one responded to the call for help after the senior citizen became stuck in the elevator.
One reason for the tragedy may have been the fact that the parking garage where the elevator was located was closed for maintenance.
Police checked the elevator emergency calls and found the button was pressed twice the morning after Komisarchik disappeared. "We are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident with the local authorities".
The apartment complex's management, Greystar Management Services released a statement expressing their condolences, saying, "We are saddened by the tragic loss of life and extend our deepest condolences to Mr. Komisarchik's family and friends".
Family members said the last time they saw Komisarchik, he was wearing gray pajama trousers and a gray-and-white striped shirt around 2pm on July 5.
According to city codes adopted in 1981, the interior of all elevator cars must have signaling devices including an emergency switch labeled "alarm" adjacent to the car's operating panel and a phone or intercom labeled "help" allowing two-way communication with security.
"Staff did check two elevators in response to the notification but not the inoperable elevator, in which his body was found", he said. Komisarchik may have not been able to continue his efforts to escape from the broken elevator due to dementia. The garage elevator at Woodstream Village was last inspected in December and found to be in good working order, Pixley said. The fire department reportedly never received an emergency call from inside the broken elevator.
The elevators at the apartment complex are monitored by MEI Total Elevator Solutions monitors.
The body was recovered after people who lived nearby reported a "really bad smell" but said they didn't know where the odor came from or what it was.