Channel 1 TV News reported that the Afghan Ministry of Defense confirmed that there was an attack on a base of the Afghan National Army in Kandahar. Ten militants were killed, the ministry added.
Health officials said more than 230 were wounded.
The Taliban claimed responsibility, saying it had killed 60 people.
Standing at a post overlooking Afghan villages across the border, Zakaria said troops and paramilitary forces had defeated militants by launching several operations in the troubled region, which was a longtime stronghold for al-Qaida and the Taliban, as well as criminal gangs.
More than 120 people, including soldiers, police and civilians, have died in three such attacks this week. Islamabad began construction of the fencing earlier this year.
But the Taliban said the recent assaults were a "clear message to the Americans and the Kabul government, that they can not scare us with their new so-called strategy".
"The enemy who thought they had scared us with the new Trump strategy have now been given a lesson". He said in a statement sent to the media that 60 soldiers had been killed at the ANA base in Maiwand.
This week's attacks come near the end of the summer fighting season, when militants traditionally intensify their offensives across the country. President Donald Trump and United States officials have accused Pakistan of not preventing militant groups' attacks in Afghanistan from within its territory.
From January 1, 2017, through May 8, 2017, 2,531 Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) service members were killed and a further 4,238 wounded, according to a report of the special inspector general for Afghanistan reconstruction.
A splinter group of the Pakistani Taliban, Jamaat-ul-Ahrar has in the past also backed Middle East-based Daesh and has increasingly targeted religious minorities in Pakistan.