The Philippine Department of Health put on hold its 3.5 billion peso ($69.5 million) public dengue immunisation drive launched past year - the world's first such public programme - after the study was released last week.
The Philippines Department of Health halted use of Dengvaxia last week after Sanofi reported it could worsen the disease in some people.
As per the guidelines of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Sanofi needed to conduct an information dissemination campaign. They added that Dengvaxia immunized approximately 734,000 children aged 9 years and above in the country.
French-based Sanofi Pasteur said its long-term follow-up study of its Dengvaxia vaccine showed sustained benefits for up to six years for those who had previous dengue infection, but that people who never had dengue had an increased risk of a severe case and hospitalisation from the third year after immunisation.
"In this group, all fully recovered with proper medical treatment".
One 12-year old girl in Tarlac province, north of the capital Manila, who completed the three-dose vaccine treatment, showed symptoms of severe dengue, Health Undersecretary Gerardo Bayugo told Reuters by phone.
The scare surrounding the disease, which upon infection can progress to progress to the deadly dengue haemorrhagic fever or dengue shock syndrome, has led scientists to develop the world's first ever dengue fever vaccine called the Dengvaxia vaccine.
To allay the fears of the public, Malacañang on Monday reminded the public to not panic over the government's dengue vaccination program, saying the Department of Justice (DOJ) will start an inquiry on the purchase of the drug.
The World Health Organization would review safety data on Dengvaxia by the end of December 2017.
Mosquito nets are installed in a classroom at the Pantal Elementary School in Dagupan City to protect pupils from mosquitoes carrying the dengue virus, amid the controversy sparked by the suspension of the anti-dengue vaccination program due to health concerns.
The WHO, which issued a report identifying the vaccine's safety risk in mid-2016, recommended it only be used in people who had prior dengue infection.