On the way to cremate the babies' remains, the family was shocked to discover that the boy was still breathing inside one of the bags holding the newborns' bodies.
The infant died due to an infection at a nursing home after battling for life for almost a week - which jolted the entire family, which was demanding the arrest of erring doctors.
A newborn baby boy in Indian capital New Delhi, who woke up while on his way to the funeral ground after doctors mistakenly declared him dead along with his stillborn twin sister, has died a week after the incident.
The baby was admitted to a private nursing home in Pitampura where he was put on a ventilator and the doctors said that the due to the premature birth, his condition was serious and that his chances of survival slim. Thinking both the children were dead, they handed their bodies in two separate plastic bags to the parents for burial.
The police have registered a case of medical negligence against Max Hospital in Shalimarbag based on the family's complaint and an investigation is ongoing.
"These two cases have been clubbed and we will take action accordingly", he informed. "I have been wronged. I will not take my son's body until the two doctors are arrested, so that we get justice", he said.
In response to the Delhi government's report, Max Healthcare said in a statement, "We would like to thoroughly review the final report when we receive it before commenting".
"After opening the plastic bag, we found the baby was breathing", said Kumar, who rushed to a nearby nursing home in Pitampura along with other family members. The baby's uncle said that they will continue to protest outside Max Hospital. "We wish them the strength to cope with their loss", it added.
The Delhi government's preliminary inquiry report was submitted to the Delhi health minister on Tuesday; it found the hospital guilty of not having followed prescribed medical norms when dealing with newborn infants, a Delhi government official who was not authorized to speak on the record about the report told CNN.