"It's toxic soap chemicals that these teenage children are putting into their mouths".
Peer pressure is pushing teens to take video of themselves eating the pods. They can make people incredibly sick if consumed. Some of the videos are getting hundreds of thousands of views.
The teen videos hit fever pitch after satire site College Humour created a video of an adult eating detergent pods in March 2017. "So I'm just going to salt it a little bit".
Most the jokes surrounding the craze are self-aware. Ideas - and even dares - about eating the pods followed on various social media platforms.
Another video from a YouTuber, reacting to Lush eating the soapy pod, posted on Thursday already had almost 400,000 views by Friday morning.
In 2012 through 2015, the popular detergent pods were the subject of controversy for parents of toddlers and smaller children.
P&G replaced the original clear packaging with more opaque and harder-to open child-proof packages.
"Nothing is more important to us than the safety of people who use our products", the statement read. If you or someone you know has eaten a laundry detergent pod, call the national poison help hotline at 1-800-222-1222 or text POISON to 797979 to save the number in your phone.
The company advised that if the detergent is swallowed, the person should drink water or milk and then contact poison control.
Floridians should know of the dangers all too well.
The case that supports the detergent is made of material that dissolves when wet.
"Serious effects can occur quickly".
According to doctors, this can result in irritation and burns inside the mouth, which would lead to an embarrassing visit to the emergency room.
Among the symptoms shown by children who have accidentally swallowed detergent in the past is excessive vomiting, wheezing and gasping, sleepiness, breathing issues, as well as corneal abrasions if the detergent ends up entering their eyes. Death by Tide pod is also a possibility.