The ferocious air and ground campaign against Eastern Ghouta has killed over 1,400 civilians since it was launched on February 18, a Britain-based monitor says, and sparked global outrage.
Photos and videos released from the area showed charred bodies covered with sheets lined near what appeared to be shops.
"There was fierce fighting throughout the night on the northern outskirts of the city as the forces and their Syrian allies tried to break into the city", the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said yesterday.
The opposition's Syrian Civil Defense said the airstrike killed dozens and wounded scores, adding that paramedics are trying to help people.
An opposition official from Ghouta privy to the negotiations told Reuters a delegation had left Harasta and was working out the terms of a deal that would follow previous surrender accords for rebel-held areas subjected to bombardment and siege.
The media office for the Syrian Democratic Forces, a Kurdish-led and USA -backed force that operates in the Kurdish autonomous region in the north, also said that at least 30 were wounded in Friday's attacks. Different casualty tolls are common in the immediate aftermath of big attacks.
A Syrian Kurdish official says the war with Turkey has now entered "a new phase" of guerrilla warfare after Turkish troops and allied forces entered the Syrian town of Afrin. Tens of thousands of civilians are believed to still be inside.
The violence near Damascus came as Turkey's military rejected allegations it bombed a hospital in Afrin in northwestern Syria, where it's engaged in an offensive against Syrian Kurdish fighters. "Russia's air force performed no combat missions in the area of Eastern Ghouta". "It (constitution drafting by Syrians based on dialogue between government and opposition - TASS) will probably take slightly more time than writing the Syrian constitution somewhere overseas in Europe or across the pond and bringing it to Damascus".
Regime forces have taken 70 percent of the enclave since then and last weekend, regime forces divided the enclave into three sectors, isolating the major urban centers and enabling a swift advance.
Syrian state-run Ikhbariyah TV aired live footage showing hundreds of men, women and children carrying their belongings and marching into the town of Hamouria that was recently captured by Syrian troops.