"He doesn't quite fit the profile that we've seen before", said Idsinga.
So far police have not found any links between Kanagaratnam and Toronto's Church-Wellesley Village or LGBT communities. The other victims have been linked.
Selim Esen, 44, Abdulbasir Faizi, 44, Majeed Kayhan, 58, Andrew Kinsman, 49, Dean Lisowick, 47, Soroush Mahmudi, 50, and Skandaraj Navaratnam, 40. Kanagaratnam was killed sometime between September 3 and December 14 2015, but Idsinga would not elaborate on what brought them to that conclusion.
Like most of the other men the self-employed landscaper is believed to have slain, however, Kanagaratnam's remains were recovered from planters at a central Toronto home where McArthur once worked.
The remains of seven men, six of them identified as being among those named in the murder charges, have been found in garden planters in a property in the Leaside neighbourhood where an acquaintance let Mr. McArthur store his tools.
Police originally released a photo of the victim to the public in the hope that someone could help correctly identify them. Idsinga said there is also no indication that Kanagaratnam was active on an online dating website.
Idsinga thanked those who have come forward and provided tips and encouraged anyone who has not heard from police, or who has information about McArthur, to contact investigators.
McArthur, 66, was first arrested in January on murder charges. "But if we listen to these experts, we'd be looking for a brown-skinned, 35 year-old male".
He emphasized, however, that police have not uncovered any evidence to suggest that McArthur's alleged killing spree began before 2010 when Navaratnam is believed to have died. It closed after 18 months as it did not establish the whereabouts of the missing men or resolve the circumstances of their disappearances, police said.
Police will be providing an update on the case at Toronto police headquarters at 10:30 a.m.
In this artist's sketch, alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur makes an appearance via video in a Toronto courtroom, on April 11, 2018.
An external review to be launched later this month will look into the way in which Toronto police investigated the missing men reports.