He also suffered "thermal injuries", or burns, on roughly 80 percent of his body, the report said.
FEMA recently reported that there were nearly 200 incidents involving exploding vape pens between 2000 and 2016, but D'Elia is the first person in the United States to die as a outcome. The report lists the cause of death as "projectile wound of the head".
The U.S. Fire Administration says there have been 195 cases in which an electronic cigarette exploded or caught fire between 2009 through 2016, resulting in 133 injuries, 38 of which were severe.
The Smok-E Mountain Mech Works vaping device, which is made in The Philippines, is an unregulated mechanical e-cigarette.
The Food and Drug Administration recommends that smokers should not leave pens charging overnight or use off-brand chargers.
"This is a awful shock", Christopher D'Elia, the man's father, told ABC Action News.
Experts fault the lithium ion batteries used in e-cigarettes.
There were 195 separate e-cigarette fire and explosion incidents in the United States reported by the media between 2009 and 2016, according to data released previous year by the US Fire Administration.
Use vapes with safety features, including protection against overcharging.
The owner of Lizard Juice, an e-cigarette retailer in Florida, said he does not think such vaping pens are "safe enough".
In 2016, a vaping device blew up in a man's face in NY - knocking out his teeth, ripping a hole in his tongue and leaving his hands covered in burns.