The Vatican's top abuse investigator arrived in Chile on Tuesday, a day after Pope Francis accepted the resignation of three bishops from the scandal-wracked Chilean Church.
The Vatican named the other two bishops as Cristian Caro Cordero and Gonzalo Duarte Garcia de Cortazar.
The eight-page letter, according to CBC, graphically detailed sexual abuse at the hands of a priest, as well as the subsequent coverup by Chilean church authorities.
An global family rally the Catholic Church is hosting in Ireland will feature workshops on hot-button issues facing Catholic families, including protecting children from clergy sexual abuse, weathering divorce and ministering to lesbian and gay faithful. During his visit to Chile in January, Francis upset abuse survivors and their loved ones when he dismissed the allegations against Barros as "calumny", claiming there was no evidence and saying he had never seen proof against the bishop.
Opponents have been vocal about their opposition to Barros ever since, with some of the most outspoken being victims of Karadima, who in 2011 was found guilty by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith of sexually abusing several minors during the 1980s and 1990s, and sentenced to a life of prayer and solitude. While the Pope has said removing bishops is a necessary step, he has also stressed an intent to tackle the root causes of the abuse problem which he believes goes beyond making personnel changes.
New abuse accusations have emerged in recent weeks against the Church in Chile, including allegations against the pope's own Jesuit order.
Victims accused Barros of having witnessed the abuse but doing nothing to stop it. Barros has denied the allegations. The victim, Juan Carlos Cruz, described the abuse by Reverend Fernando Karadima; abuse Bishop Barros - who the Pope has repeatedly and publicly defended - and others witnessed, ignored, and covered up.
"A new day has begun in Chile's Catholic Church!" tweeted Juan Carlos Cruz, the abuse survivor who denounced Barros for years and pressed for the Vatican to take action.
The Vatican's most experienced sexual abuse investigator, Archbishop Charles Scicluna visited Chile earlier this year to look into the scandal.
The pope said sorry for unwittingly "wounding" Karadima's victims who say Barros, one of the charismatic Karadima's proteges', shielded the abuser from justice.
All of Chile's 34 Roman Catholic bishops had offered their resignations.
It is not yet known how many, if any, more of Chile's bishops will depart from office.
"Holy Father, it's bad enough that we suffered such tremendous pain and anguish from the sexual and psychological abuse, but the awful mistreatment we received from our pastors is nearly worse", the victim wrote. He has been sent back to Chile to gather more information. That official, too, was later accused of sexual abuse by young catholics and was removed from his post in 2013.