A 71-year-old Sarasota man has died from a bacterial infection days after eating a raw oyster at a Sarasota County restaurant, according to the Florida Department of Health.
A Florida man died from a flesh-eating bacteria after eating bad oysters, according to officials.
Authorities have so far refused to reveal the man's identity and the name of the restaurant.
Health officials say that the man's death was caused by a bacteria known as Vibrio vulnificus, which is commonly found in oysters and other types of seafood.
The Florida Department of Health says if you experience any of the symptoms of this bacteria, seek medical care immediately.
The vast majority of vibriosis infections result in symptoms typical of a foodborne illness: cramping, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, fever, and chills.
People with weakened immune systems or open wounds are at a greater risk for infection.
CORRECTION: A previous version of this story misidentified Vibrio vulnificus as Necrotizing fasciitis, which is a flesh-eating disease. The county did not have any vibrio cases a year ago but there were confirmed cases and one death in 2016.
They also should not enter the water with an open wound, but should wrap or protect any wounds before entering brackish sea water.
Oysters, clams, and mussels need to be cooked thoroughly since infection may be contracted through consumption of undercooked shellfish. "That's usually not the case when someone consumes the bacteria", Drennon said. There were three confirmed cases and one death in 2016. In 2017, there were two cases and also no fatalities.