Subsequent testing revealed that Manteufel had contracted an infection from a bacteria identified as capnocytophaga, which is found in dog saliva.
Avid biker Greg Manteufel was forced to have the bottom of his legs amputated below the knee after capnocytophaga - a frightful bacteria - caused him to lose all blood circulation there through sepsis.
This type of infection is particularly nasty - it can cause death within 72 hours, so the CDC urges people to be aware of the symptoms.
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the bacteria is found in the saliva of healthy dogs and cats. Now, after losing both legs and parts of both hands as well as his nose, Manteufel faces a long road to recovery and rehabilitation.
Greg Manteufel started feeling sick June 27 and went into septic shock, according to a GoFundMe account set up in his name.
Greg Manteufel had to have his limbs amputated through the knee after the germ, called capnocytophaga, saw him develop sepsis and lose all circulation to his lower legs. When that wasn't enough either, doctors had to remove half of both forearms as well.
After discovering the Manteufels have a pet dog named Ellie, the medical staff told Dawn that her husband likely was infected after being licked. "People with a weakened immune systems who have difficulty fighting off infections (for example, people with cancer or those taking certain medications such as steroids) are at greater risk of becoming ill", the agency says.
"We can't wrap our heads around it that all of the sudden, he's 48 years old and been around dogs all of his life. and this happens", Dawn Manteufel said.
"This is an organism carried in the mouths of dog and it causes a very bad sepsis infection. This infection in his blood triggered a very severe response on his body", said Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, infectious disease specialist with Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin. "It's just chance", Dr. Munoz-Price added.
"He kept saying to the doctors: "Take what you need but keep me alive". While the infection had been seen before in people who'd been bitten by dogs, the doctors noted it was highly unusual that this woman apparently contracted it from her dog who had licked her.
The family has raised nearly $22,000 or their $25,000 goal on this GoFundMe page.