In real estate agent Diane Chung's lawsuit, it's claimed that she was using her new Galaxy Note 9 on September 9 while taking the elevator up to her apartment when it suddenly became "extremely hot", according to the New York Post. Moments later, she heard a "whistling and screeching sound" and saw that there was thick smoke emerging from the bag. While some have speculated that the Samsung Galaxy S10 could finally be the foldable phone we've all been expecting, it's unlikely that Samsung will have its expected foldable screen technology on its flagship range, and will rather launch it as a separate product line. Chung placed the smoking bag on the elevator floor and tried to empty it, burning her fingers as she tried to grab the Galaxy Note 9.
According to the report, Chung further adds in the lawsuit that as soon as the elevator reached the lobby she threw her smartphone out while it was still burning. The device supposedly didn't stop burning until a helpful passerby dunked it inside a bucket of water. A Samsung spokesperson told the publication, "We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note 9 device and we are investigating the matter".
Prior to the Samsung Galaxy Note 9's release in August, the company's mobile head, D.J. Koh, assured consumers that the device's battery is "safer than ever".
She explains the whole incident to be "traumatic", and mentions in the lawsuit that the fire ruined everything that was inside her bag. Until Samsung comes out with its report, it's hard to say whether we are looking at a flaw in the battery or the incident is due to some external reasons. He said that the engineers at Samsung are confident of its safety, and that users do not have to worry about batteries any more. A report of a Galaxy Note9 catching fire has surfaced online.