Saudi officials denied the allegations, saying the well-known opposition journalist left the building through another exit.
Mohammed bin Salman, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, ordered that Washington Post contributor Jamal Khashoggi be lured to that country from his home in the US and detained, the paper reported Wednesday evening.
Co-host Steve Doocy brought up the report that Mohammed ordered Khashoggi's return to Saudi Arabia and told Trump, "That sounds like it goes right to the top, Mr. President".
Khashoggi has not been seen since October 2 when he went to the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to obtain official documents for his upcoming marriage. Again it's an act that we can take without passing legislation.
Turkey can not remain silent over the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, President Tayyip Erdogan was quoted as saying by Hurriyet newspaper on Thursday, adding Turkey is investigating all aspects of the case. Saudi Arabia's de facto leader, Mohammed bin Salman, has done so many times.
The Post report, citing an unnamed "person familiar with the information", said the intercepted communications showed that as yet unidentified Saudi officials wanted to lure Mr. Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia and lay hands on him there.
The Washington Post reported on Tuesday that before Khashoggi disappeared, us intelligence had intercepted communications in which the Saudis had been discussing a plot to abduct him.
Kaye said he did not have "any particular plan" about what the global investigation would look like, but that "multiple models" - such as a United Nations -mandated probe - exist.
Local press reports suggested he was abducted and taken to Saudi Arabia, though this has never been confirmed. The Saudi consulate says Khashoggi left its premises.
Trump said he had talked "more than once" and "at the highest levels" to partners in Saudi Arabia, which is one of Washington's closest allies and a key market for the U.S. weapons industry.
But after several of his friends were arrested, his column was cancelled by the al-Hayat newspaper and he was allegedly warned to stop tweeting, Mr Khashoggi left Saudi Arabia for the US.
Today, Turkish television broadcaster NTV released CCTV footage of some of the Saudis going from the airport to the Movenpick Hotel, where they are believed to have stayed, and on to the consulate.
Mr. Trump told reporters earlier on Wednesday that his administration has been in contact with the "highest level" of officials in the Saudi government, and had asked about Khashoggi's disappearance.
Longtime diplomat Aaron David Miller, who has negotiated Middle East policy on behalf of multiple administrations, tweeted following Khashoggi's death: 'If Saudis were involved in Jamal's death or disappearance, that's obviously on them.
Trump declined to say whom he talked with in the Saudi government.
Signs of such a challenge began to emerge Monday night when Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called on the Saudis to "support a thorough investigation of Mr. Khashoggi's disappearance and to be transparent about the results of that investigation".
The Saudi Consulate referred Reuters to authorities in Riyadh who have not responded to questions about the 15 Saudis, who Sabah said travelled on diplomatic passports, arriving in Istanbul hours before Khashoggi disappeared.