The first employee, who had been issued a credential before the October 8 game in Cleveland, was removed from an area Saturday near Boston's dugout for taking photos during Game 1 of the ALCS.
Astros general manager and president of baseball operations Jeff Luhnow said his team was "playing defense" and trying to ensure compliance by the Red Sox by placing someone near the Red Sox dugout. After being asked about the man claiming to be an Astros' employee and the warning given to the Red Sox, an Indians spokesman said via email on Tuesday, "We are not going to comment on this situation".
After the Indians lost the American League Division Series to the Astros in a three-game sweep last week, Cleveland said a man was seen with a cellphone standing by the photographer's pit at Progressive Field, the Indians' home park, October 8.
He also noted that he doesn't believe MLB's investigation is completely closed.
The teams play again at 8:39 p.m. ET Wednesday in Game 4 in Houston. McLaughlin was removed by security in Cleveland as well.
The defending champions came under scrutiny after Cleveland filed a complaint about a man associated with Houston attempting to photograph or video the Indians' dugout last week.
Stealing signs is allowed, as long as teams only use their eyes. The man was not allowed back into the credentialed area, but was allowed to remain in the ballpark.
"The competitive edges nowadays are so narrow. And whether that's pitch tipping, pitch sequencing, changing your signs, changing your location of your defenders - this is a bigger topic that's going to take a lot more time than an overnight story and concern and people's curiosities". The Red Sox have taken the series lead against the Houston Astros. While that comes as welcome news to the team and its fans, Major League Baseball's decision didn't make everyone happy.
Dave Dombrowski doesn't think MLB's investigation into the Astros has been closed.