Health workers hope that the first multi-drug Ebola treatment trial, announced by DR Congo's health ministry on Monday, will help to contain this and future outbreaks.
"This tragic milestone clearly demonstrates the complexity and severity of the outbreak".
"While the numbers are far from those from West Africa in 2014, we're witnessing how the dynamics of conflict pose a different kind of threat, " Gayer said.
Health workers found these were children being treated for malaria in the unofficial health centres - they believe people are confusing the two diseases because early symptoms, including fever, weakness and vomiting, are the same.
Late Thursday, the World Health Organization declared this outbreak second only to the devastating West Africa one that killed more than 11,000 people from 2014 to 2016. Some 365 of those cases and 189 of the deaths are confirmed.
A Congolese health worker administers Ebola vaccine to a woman who had contact with an Ebola sufferer in the village of Mangina in North Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
He added: 'Since their arrival in the region, the response teams have faced threats, physical assaults, repeated destruction of their equipment, and kidnapping.
However, violent attacks from rebel groups in the area are impeding the response.
Given the complications, this Ebola outbreak will last at least another six months before it can be contained, World Health Organization emergencies chief Dr. Peter Salama has predicted.
Ebola has killed 240 people and infected more than 400 since July in an outbreak that shows little sign of abating.
The alarmingly high number of infected newborns in this outbreak is another concern, and so far a mystery.
"As the risk of national and regional spread is very high, it is important for neighboring provinces and countries to enhance surveillance and preparedness activities", the statement read. Over the past week, alerts have been reported from South Sudan and Uganda, though Ebola has been ruled out for all those cases thus far.
'These trials will contribute to building that knowledge, while we continue to respond on every front to bring the current outbreak to an end'. Steffen told reporters in a teleconference October 17.
In a situation report released Wednesday, WHO said it is "confident that the outbreak can be contained despite ongoing challenges".
"I've accepted the recommendation of the committee but this does not mean that we are not taking the outbreak seriously", WHO's director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, told reporters.