The report says that 63 different outlets were inspected, with 34 containing high-level health violations. That said, 73 of the complexes recorded good or better violation rates than their surrounding communities, including Target Center and Xcel, and only nine of 'em had worse rates. However, you should probably think twice about having a meal at Yankee Stadium next summer, as they have now been rated as the worst Major League Baseball stadium in terms of food safety standards based on a sweeping report from ESPN. So, as you bite into your $43 hot dog and sip your $91 beer, rest easy knowing they're not especially unclean.
Out of all the arenas, stadiums and ballparks, the study found that the Charlotte Hornets' Spectrum Arena ranked dead last, with 92% of vendors reporting violations.
Here's a rundown of the Twin Cities venues analyzed by ESPN.
Response: "Food safety at Target Field and the health and safety of Twins fans is a top priority", reads a statement from Delaware North, the ballpark's concessionaire.
At Bank of America Stadium, the report cited "moldy, expired cream cheese along with out-of-date deli turkey" in the main kitchen, raw beef dripping blood in an area where ready-to-eat food was stored, and employees who didn't wash their hands, including one who handled raw beef and then touched utensils. "Our managers work closely with health inspectors and immediately begin addressing and correcting any issues".
Among the violations were meats left at unsafe temperatures that could potentially breed bacteria, employees inappropriately handling food for customers, moldy or expired food, dirty or contaminated utensils and the presence of live cockroaches or mice. The leading venue was Oracle Arena - the home of the Golden State Warriors - at just 1.12 percent, the best in North America by a good margin.
Among Chicago's venues, Soldier Field fared the worst, ranking 91st with 59.2 percent of high-level violations per inspection. There was even beer leaking from the ceiling at one arena. The report doesn't mean the food is now unsafe.