Although the AJ passed away in 2008, the case has been bought to the public's attention once again after being featured in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology.
Fecal swabs revealed the presence of Bacillus cereus, a bacteria responsible for "fried rice syndrome", food poisoning commonly caused by leaving fried rice dishes sitting at room temperature for several hours.
The 20-year-old student from Belgium used to cook on Sundays to prepare his meals for the whole upcoming week to save time and money.
A Belgian student died after eating a plate of pasta that had been left on his kitchen bench for five days.
AJ was found dead by his parents 11 hours later after he failed to turn up for college.
Dr Bernard, a licensed practitioner, said cases like this aren't very common though they have been written about in the past, with patients dying "within hours" of presenting with the symptoms. "Because the emetic toxin is preformed in food and is not inactivated by heat treatment, it is important to prevent B. cereus growth and its cereulide production during storage".
The National Reference Laboratory for Food-borne Outbreak confirmed the spaghetti was contaminated with "significant amounts" of the bacteria.
"Although we can not incriminate B cereus as the direct and unique cause of death, the present case illustrates the severity of the emetic and diarrheal syndromes and the importance of adequate refrigeration of prepared food", the report said.
Take a look at the video made by Dr Bernard explaining what must have gone down in AJ's case. Which points us to the final answer of AJ's case.
"The food poisoning that results from it is usually self-limiting, meaning one can recover from it through intrinsic bodily functions".
It was found to have toxins so potent it's believed they caused AJ's liver to fail.
'Many people eat pasta, or any other form of noodles, that are leftover for a day or two and they're fine, ' he said, 'but be careful of food left out for more than a few hours.
Even though AJ was right in that he did get food poisoning, his case was much more serious than most. "If the food smells amusing, it's always better to be safe than sorry", he said.
'That was kinda dumb but not really something you expect to kill you a day later, ' one person wrote. Here's How Eating Leftover Food Could Be Damaging Your Health.