"In respect of the other 18 suspects, including former soldiers and two alleged Official IRA members, it has been concluded that the available evidence is insufficient to provide a reasonable prospect of a conviction".
The march had been banned by Northern Ireland's police and the British Army, but organizers wanted a peaceful demonstration, avoiding confrontation at the barricades with the well-armed soldiers.
It is signed by the Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson, and lays out arrangements for soldiers who "are subject to investigations by the Police Service of Northern Ireland", or "who may be required to participate in other legal processes, such as inquests and public inquiries".
Families of victims of Bloody Sunday, in which 13 unarmed protesters were killed in 1972, marched before the prosecutor's announced charges against a former British paratrooper.
Over time, though, the victims' families got organized, campaigned for justice and eventually, more than 25 years after the killings, when a peace deal was signed in Northern Ireland, the British government committed to a full-scale inquiry.
As a member of the Parachute Regiment's 1st battalion, Soldier F said he fired 13 rounds in Londonderry on January 30 1972, as he gave evidence to the Saville Inquiry anonymously in 2003.
In a landmark decision, prosecutors in Northern Ireland said on Thursday that one elderly former soldier will face charges for murder and attempted murder over the events of January 30 1972. "In these cases the evidential test is not met". One of the injured died months later from an inoperable tumour and some consider him the 14th fatality. Families of those killed during Bloody Sunday march through Bogside on March 14, 2019 in Londonderry, Northern Ireland.
Hugh Gilmore (third left) clutching his stomach after he was shot during Bloody Sunday.
The PPS pored over more than 125,000 pages of evidence from Bloody Sunday in coming to their decision.
Relatives sought to right the wrongs of false claims that their loved ones had been armed.
The charges follow a decade-long investigation that concluded the soldiers killed unarmed demonstrators.
Following the inquiry's conclusion in 2010, then prime minister David Cameron said the killings were "unjustified and unjustifiable".
The government-commissioned inquiry, undertaken by Lord Saville, found none of the victims was posing a threat to soldiers when they were shot.
He added: "I am mindful that it has been a long road for the families to reach this point and today will be another extremely hard day for many of them".
Papers before prosecutors included 668 witness statements and numerous photos, video and audio evidence.